Swipe to the left
Which type of boiler is best for me?
There are so many types of boilers, finding the right one for your home can feel like a long, daunting prospect. But this shouldn’t be the case.
1 month ago, 20 Views
The team of expert engineers at 50five are on hand to offer smart advice, to help you find the most suitable boiler for your household. But, if you don’t have time to give us a call yet, or are still doing your research, we have put together a quick overview on the various types of boilers.
- A combi boiler is the most compact boiler – and often quicker to install – as no hot water cylinder is needed. Combi boilers provide heat to your radiators and release hot water on demand from the taps. Often installed on a wall or within a cupboard, combi boilers are a highly efficient way to heat your home – you will only pay for the amount of hot water required.
- Conventional boilers come with a hot water cylinder, where gallons of water can be heated, stored and readily used. Typically, there will also be a cold-water feed tank in the loft.
- Similar to conventional boilers, system boilers have a hot water cylinder, but more components are built within. They often take up less space, as a cold-water tank isn’t required in the loft.
Not all homes have access to the mains gas grid, so are fitted with oil boilers. They work in a similar way to gas boilers but use oil to heat the water for your radiators. Most oil boilers have internal hot water storage to supply the water, rather than on demand such as what you’d receive from a gas boiler. Oil must also be delivered to your home and stored in a large tank – which can be very costly.
Okay – but which one is best?
There are a few things to consider before you go ahead and choose a boiler. The main points to ask yourself are:
- Is your home connected to the UKs gas network?
- How many people live in your home?
- How big is your home – i.e. type of property and number of bedrooms?
- How many radiators are in your home?
- How many baths and showers do you have?
- What type of boiler do you currently have?
- Are you looking to reduce the amount you spend on your heating bills?
If you have access to the mains gas supply, it would be more efficient for your house to be fitted with a gas boiler. To reduce your carbon footprint and cost of your energy bills, a modern combi boiler will make a huge difference as heating your home and water accounts for over 50% of your annual energy bills.
Oil boilers are an effective way to heat your home – but the cost of your oil supply and maintenance can be very high. The energy efficiency rating of your home will also be very high – which makes it an unattractive option if you are looking to sell.
An alternative to oil boilers – or even gas boilers – is an air source heat pump. Air source heat pumps are up to 4 times more efficient than conventional gas or oil boilers and are a renewable energy source. For every 1kW of electricity used to power the pump, you receive up to 4kW of heat. Producing renewable energy will lower your fuel bills, provide you with consistent heat and are one of the most energy efficient forms of heating.
At 50five, we aim to provide our customers with the best smart home and heating solutions. Our vast knowledge on heating solutions ensures you are fully aware of the solutions available to you; and working in partnership with leading manufacturers such as Ideal Boilers and Vaillant means we provide you with solutions we truly believe in.